This is a delicious curry suitable for vegans. The spice works well with the sweetness of the potato and it’s a nice healthy dish, I’ve had people tell me they could eat this all day long!
Ingredients (serves 3-4 people) 25 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 80-100g of fresh spinach, can also use frozen
- 250g red lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Ground turmeric
- Garam masala
- Ground cumin
- Ground turmeric
- Salt & pepper
- Red or green chilli, or chilli powder
- Garlic or garlic paste
- Fresh ginger or ginger paste
- Put about 1 tbsp of oil in a pan on a low heat, peel and slice the onion and add to the pan, cook for about 5 minute to soften it.
- While the onion is cooking mix the dry spices (cumin, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder if using) together, use amounts that suit your taste, I usually go for around 2-3 tsp of each. Peel and chop the garlic, chop the chilli and peel and finely grate the ginger. Again use amounts that suit your taste, I tend to go for 4-5 cloves of garlic , about an inch of ginger and one or two red chillis.
- After the onion has softened turn the heat to a medium temperature and add the spices, ginger and garlic, stir well and begin to peel the sweet potato, keeping and eye on the pan and stirring when needed. Cut each potato in half and cut into slices about 1cm thick, add to the pan and stir in to the rest of the mix. Cook whilst storing for about a minute.
- Add the lentils and stir in, turn up the heat and add the vegetable stock. Before it begins to boil turn the heat down low and cover with a lid.
- Check every 5 minutes and stir the dhal, it will be ready when most of the stock is absorbed and the potato is soft, if the stock is all gone and the potato is still a bit hard just add a small amount of water at a time until it’s ready.
- One cooked, remove from the heat and add the spinach, stir in and continue to stir for around a minute. If using frozen spinach defrost in the microwave before adding.
- Serve with rice and chippattis.
A delicious curry and nice and healthy!
Click here for a quick and easy recipe for yellow rice to go with this curry.