This is a good to make when asparagus is in season and you can get it at a good price. Good flavour and an interesting green tinge to it. It can be made vegan by substituting the stock for vegetable stock and the cheese for a vegan alternative. Like any good risotto it requires a lot of stirring!
Ingredients (serves 2) 25 minutes
- 250g risotto rice
- 500g asparagus
- 700ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 100ml white wine
- 100g cheese, I usually use Parmesan or pecorino, or a vegan alternative
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the bottom 1/4 off the asparagus unless you have pre trimmed stalks, then cut the remaining asparagus into chunks about 3cm long.
- Put some water onto boil and when it comes up to heat add the asparagus, turn the heat down and simmer for 3-5 minutes until the asparagus is cooked.
- Take half of the cooked asparagus and put in a blender with a little of the water it was cooked in. Blend into a mushy green paste and set aside.
- Peel and dice the shallots and garlic, heat some oil or butter in a pan and cook on a low heat for 3-5 minutes until soft, then add the rice and mix well.
- Turn the heat up high and add the white wine, keep stirring untill it has all absorbed into the rice, then begin to add the stock 1 ladleful at a time, stir until the rice has soaked it up and add another ladleful.
- Once all the stock is used the rice should be cooked, if not just make some extra stock or just use water and continue to add a ladleful at a time until the rice is cooked to your preference.
- Turn the heat down low and add the asparagus and blended asparagus paste, mix together and add the cheese and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve is a bowl or on a plate and top with more grated cheese and some chopped chives or other herbs if you like.
A pretty simple recipe for a tasty dish!