I love this stuff, it’s easy enough to make a lasts for about a year so if you make a big batch you don’t need to worry about it going off after a week. Makes a great substitute for pickle in a cheese sandwich.
Ingredients(makes about a 500ml jar) 1-2 hours
- 1kg red onion
- 3 cloves of minced garlic or 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 150-200ml red wine vinegar
- 150-200ml balsamic vinegar
- 200g soft brown sugar
- Peel all the onions and cut into quarters,slice as finely as you can, a mandolin helps here if you’ve got one.
- Heat some oil in a pan on a low heat and add all the onion, cover with a lid and cook for about half an hour stirring occasionally until the onions are soft.
- And the chilli powder, cumin, paprika, garlic and sugar. Turn the heat up and cook for 2-3 minutes whilst stirring.
- And the vinegars and put the heat on full, bring to boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour with a lid on. Check every 15 minutes or so and give it a stir.
- After one hour if it is still quite liquid continue to cook until it’s a chutney consistency, check every 10-15 minutes until ready.
- Pour into clean jars and screw the lid on, leave to cool and store in the fridge for upto a year.